Monday, February 16, 2009

It's the time to disco!

*Statutory Warning*
I am not quite sure where I am headed with this post so may God be with you if you actually decide to read this crap. Amen!
I like Indian weddings. Even though I may have grumbled about them in the past, if the wedding is of a close friend or someone you are very close to it can actually be fun. The latest fad, actually it has been there for a quite a while now for me to term it as "latest", is the sangeet function at a wedding. Ok sangeets are fun! but only if you are involved. For example, if I'm dancing at a cousin's sangeet, the only people interested in watching me would be my parents!
Off late I find sangeets another way through which people like to show their dancing skills off. The purpose of a sangeet is the whole family coming together and doing something for the soon to be newly weds. Aunties, grannies, uncles, little children going on and on and on on a million songs almost puts me to sleep. Choreographers are charing exhorbidant rates to put up these filmy skits and other paraphanalia which I feel somewhere loses the whole purpose of a family sangeet.
Over the years I have been a part of a million sangeets for friends, cousins etc and overall I have had a fun time. I have so many memories attached to each performance, there are so many before and after stories. So what if I suck at dance, am stiff, stage conscious or whatever, Here's to many more "desi girls" :)

1 comment:

John Voxx said...

I saw you on Twitter and decided to read a bit about you.
You said it all in your Blog article - Its time to Disco
Quote
"I suck at dance, am stiff, stage conscious"
Unquote

Somehow I do believe that people who do have these qualities are very interesting to read and make friends with.