Something I wrote in March 2008
******************************
Yes, it’s been pretty long since I’ve been in hibernation. Well I’m back with a bang, actually, I was always around but there was nothing worthwhile happening to type about. Life has been pretty much the same old routine, get up-go to work-come home types.
Anyway so last Saturday I was at a friend’s house. A few of us just stayed there watching a movie, chatting, chilling with a couple of beers. Over a period of time a friend let’s call her X slowly begins to get high. Now knowing X for donkey years I know that each time she’s high she gets emotional and cranky and I am generally the target I decide it’s time for me to head back and hit the sack, As I put down the bowl of popcorn and got up from that comfy bean bag where I had plopped myself all night, I hear her call my name.
Oh hell! I think. “Run Pooja Run” speaks my mind, but I just stood there and she started off.
Surprisingly this time it was not me who was the target but a couple of us clubbed together. X went on about she was from a lower middle class family and how her values are what values are, and how lower middle class people truly understand the value of money cause they strive and work hard to earn it and how we were a bunch of spoilt brats who have gotten everything easy in life and blah blah!.
I listened to all she had to say and couldn’t bother to argue then, but X, here’s my point of view and the reasons why I do not agree with you.
Sure I have had things slightly easier than you, but that definitely does not mean I don’t respect the fact that I have. I may not have traveled by bus (like you pointed out) but once both of reach our office desks we work equally hard to get that promotion which you eventually got. I don’t believe in a class of society, you were the one who has always distinguished between different strata’s in our so called society.
Needless to say if I did receive a few more man made material goodies than you
a) I am not going to feel guilty about the fact that I did and nor am I going to feel bad about having being happy while receiving them.
b) They say nothing about the values I have been brought up with.
I think you have prioritized wrong. Fortunately for me I have brought up with the most wonderful parents who have worked very hard in their life to give me what I have and brought me up with a solid set of values that makes me what I am today. My mother sacrificed her career to bring me up, teaching me how to respect what I have today cause I may not have it tomorrow and I know that I can be happy even otherwise because its not the things that matter to me, its the people. You are amazing for all you've achieved in your life, but we are trying too, working as hard as you, respecting and thanking for all what we have and striving as hard to reach our goals. Hey! we are amazing too.
Although I do need to cut you some slack! After all you were riding high! ;-)
*************************************************************************************
On a funnier note I must describe this really funny incident that happened on one of my drunken friends escapades. I don't have any of my personal experiences to share as I have never gotten drunk. Yawn! Boring! I know, but I'm really not comfortable and hardly allow myself to let go and lose control of myself. Well let’s see. It's not like you can ever say never.
Anyway so this was many years ago, we had just passed out of std10 and were into what you call "junior college" in Bombay. 31 December was fast approaching and this would be our 1st New Year's eve party where we could go without our parents and we were really kicked about it. By we I mean 6 of us, best friends in college. So about a month before there we were picking up our fancies, choosing our dates, you know all that stuff what silly youngsters who at that point think they are being extremely cool do.
So finally the day arrived 31st night. All 12 of us, with drivers in tow. We weren't eligible to drive ourselves then silly! we were hardly 16-17 years old. We had really researched and found out that the most happening party was at the Leela hotel. As I am sure you'd identify, the desperation to be at the "coolest" party was always there. I remember our fathers getting a cardiac arrest when they heard the prices of the passes, but what are moms for :-)
Anyway so we arrive at this large party, at about 11:45pm because we've been stuck in a traffic jam for like 2 and a half hours and were pretty frustrated. We hit the dance floor and by the time it was 12:00, wished each other, we look around and the 6 boys who came with us, were missing.
Where were they? We went on a frantic search for them cause apparently they were our so called escorts (although we had our own drivers luckily). Suddenly we look on the floor and call 6 of them lay drunk. Hehe well they were 16 too you know, and the charm of getting wasted and the whole alcohol high was something that gave them a kick at that point.
We were sooo pissedd off. All that dressing up to find who you've come with on the floor! Besides in these popular parties, every second person you bump into, happens to know you and they were like hey have you girls come alone?
We couldn’t bear the embarrassment and in the meanwhile Y who was with us also suddenly decides to get drunk and starts throwing up. We were so naive we didn’t know what to do and started walking her towards the car.
Suddenly these 2 guys walk upto us and offer to help Y by getting her some lemon. Now I feel foolish for letting them but then we didn’t have a choice. They were so helpful, they sorted Y out after like 2-3 hours of hanging in the parking lot at the Leela. Their friends joined us and it was a party of its own kind, only in a pool of puke.
After all that we went to R's house pooped with all that cleaning, dropped Y home before that, luckily her mom didn’t notice she was drunk at all, thanks to those guys who took care of her for us.
So that New Year was basically spent wiping puke, meeting random men (who today I can call friends after 7- 8 whole years), getting their car dirty and ruining their New Year mind you, cause all they came out for was a smoke and landed in this mess, eating bread and sarson ka saag in R's house and having our other friends looking for us and making announcements on the mic in the hotel. I can’t even begin to describe that eventful night, but all in all it was a fantastic beginning to a new year. I miss those Good old days
2 comments:
You were always the fancy one na Poo!!
That not being the point gups :)
Post a Comment