Monday, February 1, 2010

Butter Chicken in Chennai, Dosa in Delhi- It's a contradictory life!

January 2010
1/12 of the year is already over! Like any other year beginning January 2010 has flown past!
That could also be cause I traveled to all the 4 major metros in 8 odd days around mid-Jan. It was hectic but a really productive trip work and otherwise. Met some great people along the way, caught up with a long lost friend who was (luckily for me) stuck with work in Chennai after 10 odd years. It was so much fun, driving around and getting completely lost in Chennai only to find the perfect Italian restaurant. (Italian in Chennai- haha don't say it, I know). And of course A's highly recommended Amethyst cafe which by the way totally lived up to its described standards.
Delhi was freezing (Yes, I am a Bombay girl) and foggy and a completely different experience. The boss recommended a really nice Indian restaurant for the firangs with me called "Vedaa" to eat at. Good food but boy it was expensive! Rohit Bal's I think.
Never thought I'd meet P and gang who did manage to sneak out of work even though for a little bit. And then there was A, who I finally managed to meet after God only knows how many months. He took me to "Big Chill" where we ate the most delicious cheesecake (Irish something). They really need to open up in Bombay soon. Really missed catching up with the cousins though.
You know that's what I like about everyone I know in Delhi (well most of them). The special effort they take just to make sure they meet me even if it's for a bit every single time I visit. Really love all of them for this. Yep! the long lasting forever type!
Anyway moving on, Kolkata was a whole new experience all together. A couple of us went wandering around the city, me with a genuine belief that I will find Ganguly somewhere. Alas! no Sauron anywhere :( Weather wise Kolkata was the best..not as hot as Chennai and not as cold as Delhi! Also kudos to the staff at Taj Bengal. It was such a pleasure to be around such courteous and helpful people.
Life was even more hectic once we got back to Bombay. Headed straight to a meeting from the airport and then did 4 trips (in one night) from Marriott to home. Phew! The after party at Enigma was fun but I think everyone was way too tired by then.
It was rather pleasing to see the foreigners completely mesmerized by the diversity of India all throughout. They almost felt like they were visiting a whole new country each time we landed in a new city (be it in terms of culture, language, food or even physical features of the locals). Got me thinking how much tourism in Indian could prosper even if corruption in India could be reduced by 30%. I mean seriously, I'd love to work with Incredible India someday!
Anyway moving on, life is currently in a dull phase. With all that activity around me almost whole of January I suddenly feel a vacuum and don't really know what to do in my spare time. I am thoroughly enjoying my new founded interest for Power Yoga though. It helps me release stress (which I don't think I have been able to do ever since I can remember). I am a worrying person by nature. It has almost become a habit, but power yoga is really helping me break it.
I've changed my opinion about a few people. They did not turn out to be as I thought they would be, but that's a part of life. (not being judgmental, as I am often falsely accused of being. I mean calling a spade, a spade is not always a bad thing is it? )
Have things planned out for the year, like every other year. Have the "secret project 2010" planned out for June. Lets see if it works out. Only 2 weddings to attend this year, maybe more later, who can tell.
Lunch time, Subway calls! More updates later. Leve you with 3 pictures I managed to click during the whole India trip :) Really need to improve the interest in photography . Maybe buying a SLR would help?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

loves the fact that you are finally saying good things about "Delhites"