Thursday, July 17, 2008

Dusty Days

Dusty Days go back 2-3 years. Rima (Refer to "My zero friend") and me were going through a dull ish phase. You know, the "been there, done that types". Not too much excitement. Did our own things with our own friends on weekends, just the regular stuff. Little did we know that it was the lull before the storm
My cousin (Actually he is hardly a cousin, more a brother, a friend) who was working in Delhi was posted to Bombay for a couple of months and the rollicking times began. G and me were always close but honestly I'd always been closer to his elder sister R di. Naturally when you are little (she was about 7 years older) you are always in awe of the older pretty sister, the one who dresses up, meets boys, goes to parties etc.
Anyway years passed after that phase, R di got married, went off to Canada, had babies, basically reached a phase where G and me were miles away from. That's when we got really close. I'll never forget the crazzzzzy time we had in Delhi when I visited on one of my college breaks. He was doing his MBA then.
The cold Delhi nights at Turquoise Cottage, that DJ at the Hyatt, almost killing (or killing?) that stray dog while rushing home to meet deadlines, TGIF (and the whole fight episode, yeah! his friends decided to fight with the manager until he let us go without paying the bill) Can you believe that!! and various other names that I can't even remember, even the jamming sessions on your terrace with Nikhil and gang were fabulous.
Anway so coming back, that's how our bond was formed.
Once G came to Bombay, life here changed. I have never been in a more hectic phase of my life, juggling work and play together. It was so much fun tuning myself into a whole other life.
The super nights at Zenzi when V (another cousin from Delhi with her insanely young and wild friends), the Polly obsession (I don't even go there anymore, it's not the same) and the endless nights at all the Chinese resties I have dragged you and Rima to.
G stayed close to home and drove his black car which he drove all the way from Delhi. Since his car was parked on the road for majority of the day and was washed only when it rained (thank god! it rains often in Bombay) we termed it "Dusty"
Dusty was the cutest car ever with the most adorable gear lock! haha! You've got to see it to believe it, I'd never seen a gear lock before this.
We've had innumerable dusty experiences. She was my spare car whenever G was out of town and all we listened to was "Coldplay" (they were fun then and we were young).
Be it bacardi nights at various places, dancing at friend's sangeet's he didn't know, going broke after spending money at all of the above, dusty drives, I have innumerable memories attached.
Excerpts from a Chinese resteraunt we visited
Now the hostess/waitress was a fake. She was a Northeast Indian pretending to be Chinese
As we enter

Rima- Hi we have a reservation for 9:00pm, under Rima or Pooja
Hostess- Yes! Oh Ms Poooda please come
Burst of laughter, uncontrollable tears from Rima and G. Me-Going slowly but steadily red in the face
After we were seated
Hostess- Can I get you something to drink?
G and Rima opt for Beers
Pooja- Can I please have a coke?
Hostess- One cock coming up

Burst of laughter, uncontrollable tears from Rima and G. Me- Yeah Yeah even I couldn't help but laugh
So this is a small example of one of the many insane memories we share. G and Rima have always desperately tried to hook me up with people of their choice but I don't want to get into that right now or this post will get really long. (Like it's not already)
Anyway that was the past. G soon left for Dubai and now he is married and lives there. Imagine my plight when G and Rima decide to get married 2 days apart in 2 different cities. Crazy!!!! but I managed, but I do really miss those good old days
Good old days of eating 2 galato's in one day, devil's paradise at Cafe coffee day, Mahjong, Salsa nights and all that jazz. I also used G a lot to get out of trouble when I was young. G was an amazing excuse to get out of late nights :) and he got to know he was being used much later than he was :)
Dusty is no longer a part of our lives, not even G's. She had a serious accident when she was on her way back to Delhi but I think she survived. She is with a new family right now I presume and granting them new experiences.
A glimpse into my dusty life. Amen!

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

heyy pooj , sorry for not commenting earlier. this post ROCKS !!! its like amazing. touched me. u know dat rarely happens. lol
miss our days with dusty and g . some of the best days of our life. we were the three famous musketeers in bombay.
how much we used g's name to go out . lol and u know when we had the flat tyre outside hinduja. that was like scary until someone came to our rescue.
Hopefully someday we can all be in same place like the old times...

Razzdino said...

how can i forget that episode..and "someone" :))..that's funny
i know!! but you people just decide to live so far away from me and from each other too..dubai, canada, new york, australia..I'm going to have a tough time catching up..horrible

Anonymous said...

Hey Pooja,

Sorry babes did not get to reading the blog earlier. It is awesome continue to write. I feel so happy to know that you thought so fondly of me always. Big sister I was but unfortunately so far that we really could not enjoy as G and you did.

This blog brings back really fond memories and I can never forget the TGIF scene. I remember all of G's friends were fighting with the waiter. So I called for the manager and they said he had left for home. I demanded his phone number and those people gave me another number of the resturant and we were calling that number when I suddenly noticed that every time we would dial the number it was ringing in the resturant itself and I just Completely Lost It. I screamed like crazy in the resturant and they let us go without paying....lol. Can never forget that night.

Will read the other blogs too and comment on them too as and when I get time.

Razzdino said...

haha really? i had actually forgotten that part! although I do remember all the screaming. I was almost under the table. Hilarious!